Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Monday

Last night a wonderful , talented, creative, spirited, confident, loving, giving, daring, fun loving friend had a birthday bash to celebrate her 30th anniversary of her years on the planet. It was a great jambalaya of family friends, young and old celebrating together. It is so yummy, so rejuvenating, so soul food feedin' and FUN to have a night with friends and families and wee ones under foot, glo sticks abound, giggles and smiles, nursing babies and pregnant moms....all drumming and dancing and sharing food in joyful enjoyment, celebrating! I love that!

I love drumming...we started the evening off on the right beat with an energizing drum circle lead by the Great Bobby Bovenzi of Nankama (www.nankama.com) a leader in African and world drumming and a good friend. There's something magical about a room of people, children crawling around the circle, babies on laps, friends and strangers mingled together creating a pulse, a beat, a rhythm, a VIBE! It was great! It reminded me how much i love to be a part of that beat, even though this pale faced girl from Northern Ontario can hardly keep a beat....all is forgiven in the drum circle and when I loose the rhythm as I inevitebly do...I know to come back to the heartbeat...boom, pause, boom, pause....wait, listen....boom, pause, boom....

There is a book out called When the Women Were Drummers by Layne Redmond which I have yet to get my hands on but it tells of the history of women and drumming. I will post the video next. I have also been inspired by Nikiah of Redmoonkeeper (www.redmoonkeeper.com) who offers Red moon drum making workshops in Vancouver.....I'd love to attend.

We don't need the straight line to nowhere. We need the circle to hold us.

We don't need the solitary confinement of modern life; we need the embrace of community.

We can't lose sight, lose faith, courage, forget who we are. We have to remind each other.

We don't need to be warriors. We can be dancers.

~Karen Andes A woman's Book of Power

And so the rest of the night...we danced like noone was watching.....

with love, Tricia






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers